Visual Studio Code¶
- Visual Studio MarketPlace and Extensions
- Integrated Terminal on Visual Studio Code
- Debugging in VScode
- Python in Visual Studio Code
- Go in Visual Studio Code
- Bridge to Kubernetes
- Cloud Code
- code.visualstudio.com: Visual Studio Code
- vscode.github.com: GitHub and Visual Studio Code 🌟 Bring your workflows closer to your code. Learn how Visual Studio Code and GitHub are better together.
- Visual Studio Online
- Awesome Visual Studio Code
- Using Version Control in VS Code
- deepu.js.org: My VS Code setup - Making the most out of VS Code
- VScode run from WSL in Linux: Cannot activate the ‘Atlassian for VSCode (Official)’ extension because ‘git’ extension is not loaded
- kite: Code Faster with AI Autocomplete
- With the Edge (Chromium) Tools for VS Code you can see the browser’s Inspector and Dev Tools within VSCode, to debug your front-end code
- docker.com: How to Develop Inside a Container Using Visual Studio Code Remote Containers 🌟
- devblogs.microsoft.com: Need an Intro to VS Code? Let Tech with Tim Help!
- A multi-step tutorial that covers the basics of working with Docker with Visual Studio Code and deploy on Azure
- thenewstack.io: This Week in Programming: All Hail Visual Studio Code
- blogs.windows.com: Bringing the browser developer tools to Visual Studio Code
- visualstudiomagazine.com: Code with Fire! Top VS Code Tips
- 39digits.com: How to sign your commits to GitHub using Visual Studio Code on Windows 10 and WSL2 🌟
- jung-christian.de: Ansible support in Visual Studio Code 🌟
- youtube: Source Control Tip 9: Dealing with Merge Conflicts in VS Code
- dev.to: Video: Visualize the architecture of your Java app, in VS Code, in 2 ¹/₂ minutes
- serverless-stack.com: How to debug Lambda functions with Visual Studio Code
- github.blog: VS Code: Now creating pull requests 🌟 Remember all those times you’ve wanted to manage a pull request but didn’t want to leave VS Code? Now they’re in the past. Create and manage them with the GitHub Pull Requests Extension.
Visual Studio MarketPlace and Extensions¶
- GitLens 🌟 Git supercharged
- Git Graph View a Git Graph of your repository, and easily perform Git actions from the graph. Configurable to look the way you want!
- Better Comments
- Bracket Pair Colorizer
- Markdown All in One 🌟
- Auto Markdown TOC By AX1
- Prettier: Code formatter
- Live Share: Real-time collaborative development from the comfort of your favorite tools (pair-programming).
- EditorConfig: This plugin attempts to override user/workspace settings with settings found in .editorconfig files. No additional or vscode-specific files are required.
- Indent-Rainbow: Indent-Rainbow A simple extension to make indentation more readable
- Live Server: Launch a development local Server with live reload feature for static & dynamic pages
- SVG: SVG Coding, Minify, Pretty, Preview All-In-One.
- Python Visual Studio Code
- Rainbow Brackets A rainbow brackets extension for VS Code.
- TODO Highlight Highlight TODOs, FIXMEs, and any keywords, annotations
- Todo+ Manage todo lists with ease. Powerful, easy to use and customizable.
- Todo Tree Show TODO, FIXME, etc. comment tags in a tree view
- Error Lens Improve highlighting of errors, warnings and other language diagnostics.
- Docker Makes it easy to create, manage, and debug containerized applications.
- DotENV Support for DotENV file syntax
- Live Server Launch a development local Server with live reload feature for static & dynamic pages
- Draw.io Integration This extension integrates Draw.io into VS Code.
- Turbo Console Log Automating the process of writing meaningful log messages.
- Path Intellisense Visual Studio Code plugin that autocompletes filenames
- GitHub Pull Requests and Issues 🌟
- React Pure To Class Convert pure react components to class components
- Helm Intellisense Helm Intellisense is a Visual Studio Code extension that provides intellisense for helm-templates
- Azure Resource Manager (ARM) Tools 🌟 New VS Code extension for working with Azure Resource Manager (ARM) templates that will make your life much easier.
- developers.redhat.com: Devfiles and Kubernetes cluster support in OpenShift Connector 0.2.0 extension for VS Code 🌟
- gitlab.com: VS Code extension development with GitLab As VS Code editor increases in popularity, find out how GitLab + VS Code can be used for extension development and how we develop the official GitLab VS Code extension.
- freecodecamp.org: VS Code Extensions That’ll Boost Your Development Productivity 🌟
- CloudFormation Snippets 🌟 Adds autocompletion for all AWS CloudFormation resources. The snippets are updated automatically every week by fetching the data from the official AWS CloudFormation resource specification.
- GitHub Actions 🌟
More Extensions (Blogs)¶
- Become a VS Code Ninja with these Extensions and Tools 
- blog.logrocket.com: Top 10 VS Code extensions for 2021
- dev.to: Thunder Client - Http Client Extension for VS Code - thunderclient.io 🌟 Hand-crafted lightweight Rest Client for Testing APIs (postman alternative) - youtube: I Don’t Need Postman Anymore!! I Use VS Code Instead…
- Material Icon Theme Material Design Icons for Visual Studio Code
- Lucy Theme Soft but clear syntax theme
- Monokai Pro Theme Professional theme and matching icons, from the author of the original Monokai color scheme.
- Codey Midnight Theme Dark theme configured for accessibility and Salesforce development
- 1984 Theme
- Dracula Official Official Dracula Theme. A dark theme for many editors, shells, and more.
- Discord Presence Theme Update your discord status with the newly added rich presence.
- GitHub Theme 🌟 GitHub theme for VS Code
- Jira and Bitbucket (Official)
- GitLab Workflow
- Kubernetes (by Microsoft) Develop, deploy and debug Kubernetes applications
- Kubernetes Kind (by Microsoft)
- Docker (by Microsoft)
- Terraform Syntax highlighting, linting, formatting, and validation for Hashicorp’s Terraform
- MongoDB for VS Code
Azure DevOps Extensions¶
Git Flow Extensions¶
- gitflow by vector-of-bool Gitflow integration and support in Visual Studio Code
- GitFlow 4 Code
- JirAux (Jira integration) Extension to list,view and create Git-flow like branches from issues
- BABA-Git Flow
- Jenkins JCasC-Plugin This extension is used to integrate a live jenkins instance configuration with your editor. It can be used to edit and validate YAML files.
- Jenkins Pipeline Linter Connector Validates Jenkinsfiles by sending them to the Pipeline Linter of a Jenkins server.
- secanis.ch: Jenkinsfile Support Adds syntax highlighting support for Jenkinsfile’s. In this version, it’s the same like Groovy is.
- ivory-lab: JenkinsFile Support Extension provides basic jenkinsfile support (highlighting, snippets and completion)
- JM Meessen: Declarative Jenkinsfile Support Adds syntax highlighting support for the declarative Jenkinsfile format flavour.
- Alessandro Fragnani: Jenkins Status
Integrated Terminal on Visual Studio Code¶
- Integrated Terminal
- This is an example of Visual Studio Code settings when adding Git Bash on Windows:
"terminal.integrated.shell.windows": "C:\\Program Files\\Git\\bin\\bash.exe"
Debugging in VScode¶
- How to configure Visual Studio Code for test debugging
- blog.getambassador.io: Debugging Go Microservices in Kubernetes with VScode 🌟 Tutorial: Learn to debug Go microservices locally while testing against dependencies in a remote Kubernetes cluster
Python in Visual Studio Code¶
- Python in Visual Studio Code – September 2020 Release
- Python in Visual Studio Code – January 2021 Release
Go in Visual Studio Code¶
Bridge to Kubernetes¶
- Bridge to Kubernetes 🌟 Bridge to Kubernetes extends the Kubernetes perimeter to your development computer allowing you to write, test, and debug microservice code while connected to your Kubernetes cluster with the rest of your application or services. With this workflow, there is no need for extra assets, such as a Dockerfile or Kubernetes manifests. You can simply run your code natively on your development workstation while connected to the Kubernetes cluster, allowing you to test your code changes in the context of the larger application.
- visualstudiomagazine.com: Bridge to Kubernetes Simplifies Microservice Development in Visual Studio/VS Code
- Cloud Code 🌟 Everything you need to write, debug, and deploy your cloud-native applications.
- Repl.it Reading code is hard! Don’t you wish you could just ask the code what it does? To describe its functions, its types. And maybe… how can it be improved? Introducing: Replit code oracle.
- Gitpod Open Sources a ‘Holistic IDE’
- piotrminkowski.com: Development on Kubernetes: IDE & TOOLS In this article, you will learn what tools, frameworks, and platforms could help you to speed up the development of JVM microservices on Kubernetes.
- openshift.com: Visual Web Terminal - A Turbocharged Command Line for Kubernetes and OpenShift
- Linux on Chrome OS, sometimes called Crostini 🌟, allows you to run Linux apps for development alongside your usual Chrome OS desktop & apps.
Did you know, you can have project specific user settings in VS Code?— Andy Bell (@piccalilli_) December 10, 2020
I certainly didn’t, but I needed to make some tweaks for a better live coding experience for workshop attendees.
Create a .vscode folder in your project then add settings.json in there.