Kubernetes Storage. Cloud Native Storage¶
- Kubernetes Volumes Guide
- ReadWriteMany PersistentVolumeClaims
- Cloud Native Storage Solutions
- OpenShift Container Storage Operator (OCS)
- itnext.io: Kubernetes: PersistentVolume and PersistentVolumeClaim — an overview with examples
- thenewstack.io: How Kubernetes provides networking and storage to applications
- medium: Kubernetes Storage Explained 🌟 kubernetes/volumes/claims
- thenewstack.io: A Guide to Running Stateful Applications in Kubernetes
- forbes.com: 5 Cloud Native Storage Startups To Watch Out For In 2019
- thenewstack.io: Persistent Volumes: Separating Compute and Storage
- medium: Solution architect’s guide to Kubernetes persistent storage
- howtoforge.com: Storage in Kubernetes 🌟
- cncf.io: Container Attached Storage is Cloud Native Storage (CAS)
- thenewstack.io: The most popular cloud native solutions 🌟
- medium: Kubernetes Storage Performance Comparison v2 (2020 Updated) 🌟
- blocksandfiles.com: geless storage is the ‘answer’ to Kubernetes data challenges
- developers.redhat.com: Persistent storage in action: Understanding Red Hat OpenShift’s persistent volume framework 🌟
- rancher.com: What is Cloud-Native Storage?
- softwareengineeringdaily.com: Why Is Storage On Kubernetes So Hard? 🌟
- devopscurry.com: Top 7 Object Storage tools to consider in 2021
- thenewstack.io: Compute and Storage Should Be Decoupled for Log Management at Scale
- blog.min.io: Why Kubernetes Managed Object Storage Matters
- gitlab.com: Kubernetes storage provider benchmarks
- ibm.com: Using Fio to Tell Whether Your Storage is Fast Enough for Etcd
- marketplace.redhat.com: Dont treat Kubernetes storage as an afterthought: Turn to persistent container storage for high performance and availability
- thenewstack.io: Beyond Block and File: COSI Enables Object Storage in Kubernetes 🌟
- thenewstack.io: When Is Decentralized Storage the Right Choice?
- storj.io: Integrating Decentralized Cloud Storage with Duplicati
- thenewstack.io: The Biggest Gap in Kubernetes Storage Architecture?
- medium: Provisioning storage in Kubernetes
- kylezsembery.com: Persistent Storage in Kubernetes In this post I’ll briefly explain how persistent storage works in Kubernetes.
- blog.mayadata.io: Container Attached Storage (CAS) vs. Software-Defined Storage - Which One to Choose?
- kubermatic.com: Keeping the State of Apps 5: Introduction to Storage Classes
- itnext.io: Resizing StatefulSet Persistent Volumes with zero downtime 🌟
- thenewstack.io: Stateful Workloads on Kubernetes with Container Attached Storage 🌟
- developers.redhat.com: How to maximize data storage for microservices and Kubernetes, Part 1: An introduction 🌟
- blog.mayadata.io: Kubernetes storage basics: PV, PVC and StorageClass 🌟
Kubernetes Volumes Guide¶
- Filesystem vs Volume vs Persistent Volume 🌟
- This is a guide that covers:
- How to set up and use volumes in Kubernetes
- What are persistent volumes, and how to use them
- How to use an NFS volume
- Shared data and volumes between pods
- Create ReadWriteMany PersistentVolumeClaims on your Kubernetes Cluster 🌟 Kubernetes allows us to provision our PersistentVolumes dynamically using PersistentVolumeClaims. Pods treat these claims as volumes. The access mode of the PVC determines how many nodes can establish a connection to it. We can refer to the resource provider’s docs for their supported access modes.
- Digital Ocean: Kuberntes PVC ReadWriteMany access mode alternative
Cloud Native Storage Solutions¶
- itnext.io: Using Rook On A K3s Cluster
- documentation.suse.com: Rook Best Practices for running Ceph on Kubernetes (PDF)
- OpenEBS extends the benefits of software-defined storage to cloud native through the container attached approach.
- MayaData Founder of OpenEBS
- goglides.io: Running OpenEBS in Kubernetes
- OpenEBS Features and Benefits OpenEBS is cloudnative storage for stateful applications on K8s where “cloud native” means following a loosely coupled architecture. As such the normal benefits to cloud native, loosely coupled architectures apply.
- thenewstack.io: Rancher Donates its ‘Longhorn’ Kubernetes Persistent Storage Software to CNCF. Gluster and Ceph were “designed to be run by some storage admin. In the Kubernetes world, a lot of these things tend to be deployed by DevOps teams, so (the storage layer) needs to be a lot more lightweight and a lot simpler.” — Rancher Labs CEO Sheng Liang.
- Longhorn Simplifies Distributed Block Storage in Kubernetes
- containerjournal.com: Rancher Labs Adds Support for Longhorn Storage on Kubernetes Clusters
IBM Spectrum Storage Suite¶
- IBM Spectrum IBM Spectrum Storage software for data-driven architecture. A complete storage software family with AI-infused capability that changes the economics of storage on-prem and in the hybrid multicloud.
- redbooks.ibm.com: IBM Storage for Red Hat OpenShift. IBM block storage & IBM Spectrum Scale
- searchstorage.techtarget.com: IBM Spectrum
- Kadalu A lightweight Persistent storage solution for Kubernetes / OpenShift using GlusterFS in background.
- blocksandfiles.com: Kubernetes storage: SmartX’s IOMesh beats Portworx, Longhorn and OpenEBS
- iomesh.com: Outperforming Peer Products, IOMesh Takes Cloud Native Storage to the Next Level
OpenShift Container Storage Operator (OCS)¶
OCS 3 (OpenShift 3)¶
- OpenShift Container Storage based on GlusterFS technology.
- Not OpenShift 4 compliant: Migration tooling will be available to facilitate the move to OCS 4.x (OpenShift Gluster APP Mitration Tool).
OCS 4 (OpenShift 4)¶
- OCS Operator based on Rook.io with Operator LifeCycle Manager (OLM).
- Tech Stack:
- Rook (don’t confuse this with non-redhat “Rook Ceph” -> RH ref).
- Replaces Heketi (OpenShift 3)
- Uses Red Hat Ceph Storage and Noobaa.
- Red Hat Ceph Storage
- Red Hat Multi Cloud Gateway (AWS, Azure, GCP, etc)
- Asynchronous replication of data between my local ceph and my cloud provider
- Rook (don’t confuse this with non-redhat “Rook Ceph” -> RH ref).
- Backups available in OpenShift 4.2+ (Snapshots + Restore of Volumes)
- OCS Dashboard in OCS Operator
- kubestr.io Kubestr is a collection of tools to discover, validate and evaluate your kubernetes storage options.
- blog.kasten.io: Benchmarking and Evaluating Your Kubernetes Storage with Kubestr
- VolSync 🌟 Asynchronous data replication for Kubernetes volumes. VolSync asynchronously replicates Kubernetes persistent volumes between clusters using either rsync or rclone. It also supports creating backups of persistent volumes via restic.
- next.redhat.com: Introducing VolSync: your data, anywhere VolSync, a new storage-agnostic utility for exporting and importing objects from one Kubernetes namespace to another, even across clusters!